Dr. R. Anthony Carabasi III, M. D.
Dr. Carabasi is a board certified vascular surgeon who practiced for over 20 years at the prestigious Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and Medical school in Philadelphia, serving as Chief of Vascular Surgery for 16 years before opening his own private practice on the main line. He has been listed as a “Top Doc” in Philadelphia Magazine or as a “Top Doc” for Castle Connelly Medical, consistently since 1994. He is also listed in Castle Connelly’s “Americas Top Doctors”. He is committed to providing the highest quality care for your vein problems.
Dr. Carabasi is a member of the “Best Doctors” network, having been peer elected and chosen for this honor. As a member of this elite group of physicians, Dr. Carabasi has been recognized by his peers as one of the leading specialists in his field. We have received referrals from physicians around the country who rely on this network to help them find the best physicians for their patients in any given area.
After graduating Summa Cum Laude from Villanova University, Dr. Carabasi completed his general surgery internship at Jefferson Medical College, and Columbia University College of Physicians And Surgeons, Presbyterian Hospital in New York. Following his general surgery residency at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, he went on to study at Pennsylvania Hospital and completed his Vascular Fellowship program. He then went into academic practice, where he has been until recently, when he opened the private practice of “The Advanced Vein & Vascular Center Center, Inc”, to concentrate on his vein practice.
Dr. Carabasi has been very active in the Vascular community over the years. That activity includes the involvement in:
- SESAP VII, American College of Surgeons, 1998-1991
- Executive Committee, Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery 1988-1997
- Chairman, Constitution and Bylaws Committee, Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery, 1988-1990
- Member, Admissions Committee, Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery, 1990-1993
- Chairman, Membership Committee, Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery, 1994-1997
- Chairman, American College of Surgeons, Pennsylvania District #5, Committee on Applicants, 2000 – present
- Vice President, American College of Surgeons, Pennsylvania District #5, 8/05 to present
- Programs Committee, Metropolitan Chapter, American College of Surgeons 1987-1990, Chairman, 1990
- Secretary, Delaware Valley Vascular Society, 1988-1992
- President Elect, Delaware Valley Vascular Society, 1993-1994
- President, Delaware Valley Vascular Society, 1994-1995
- Elected Delegate from the Philadelphia County Medical Society to the Pennsylvania Medical Society (01/85-12/86)
- Chairman, Executive Council of The Philadelphia Regional Vascular Forum, 1996
- Treasurer, Executive Committee, Metropolitan Philadelphia Chapter, American College of Surgeons 7/1/03 to 6/30/04
- Secretary, Metropolitan Philadelphia Chapter, American College of Surgeons 7/1/04-present
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- International Society for Cardiovascular Surgery
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery
- Eastern Vascular Society
- Eastern Surgical Society
- Delaware Valley Vascular Surgery Society
- American Medical Association
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Philadelphia County Medical Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- New York Academy of Science
- International Society of Endovascular Specialists
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Dr. Carabasi named in 2010 Philly Mag as a “TOP DOC” and the only named for venous disease.
- Clinical Surgery Prize for general excellence in Clinical Surgery: In memory of Francis Torrens Stewart, MD, Professor of Surgery Jefferson Medical College, 1910-1979, awarded June 9, 1977
- Resident Award for Surgical Excellence, 1978-1979 Methodist Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 1986
- Fellow, Stroke Council of the American Heart Association, 1987
- “Top Doc” Philadelphia Magazine 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004,
- “America’s Top Doctors” Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 4th Edition 2004
- “America’s Top Doctors” Castle Connolly Medical Ltd, 5th Edition 2005.
- “America’s Top Doctors” Castle Connolly Medical Ltd, 6th Edition 2006.
- Dean’s Citation for Faculty Excellence in Education and Mentoring Award, Wednesday May 24, 2006, Union League
- American Board of Surgery
- General Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- General Vascular Surgery
- Pennsylvania Professor of Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University 07/01/91- Present
- Professor of Radiology, Thomas Jefferson University 07/01/91- Present
- Director, Division of Vascular Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University
Why a vascular surgeon?
GO WHERE THE DOCTORS GO
In the past two years, we have treated over 2 dozen physicians, including 4 dermatologists, 2 orthopedic surgeons, 2 chiropractors, 1 emergency physician, two GI physicians, 2 gynecologists, 2 anesthesiologists, 10 family/general practitioners, and over 5 dozen employees or family members from the offices of doctors who refer to us, as well as several dozen other nurses, techs, and related health care professionals. There must be a reason why so many “in the know” health care professionals choose the Advanced Vein & Vascular Center. We have had patients travel from as far as Minnesota, California, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, West Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Delaware, Florida, even Puerto Rico (another physician!) to be treated here. Put your legs in the trusted hands of the doctor other doctors trust – Dr. Anthony Carabasi and his staff!